With another round of snow coming our way, we opted for a family night at home!
A family favorite: Deep Dish Breakfast Pizza! You can use a bread machine, stand mixer, or elbow grease😉 to make the crust. It does require thinking ahead and allowing time, but definitely worth it! Scroll down for the recipe!
For dessert, our in-house baker made us Brookies!
While enjoying these goodies we each picked our favorite episodes of The Andy Griffith Show to watch. Yes, we are huge fans.
Deep Dish Breakfast Pizza
For the crust:
- 1 1/8 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
If using a stand mixer or mixing by hand:
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in a bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast begins to foam.
2. Combine yeast mixture, flour, oil, and salt in a large mixer bowl until dough holds together but is still slightly sticky. Knead about 2 minutes. (Use your dough hook if you are using a stand mixer.)
3. Form dough into a ball and transfer to a buttered bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl with a towel and allow dough to rise at room temperature until double in size (allow about 6 hours.)
4. Punch down dough and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
5. While your dough is resting, put an iron skillet in the oven and turn on 450 degrees. Once it’s heated, take skillet out of the oven and brush with oil.
6. Put the dough in the skillet, flatten and stretch to the sides. Leave a raised lip.
If using a bread machine:
1. Combine ingredients according to your machine and run the dough cycle.
2. When the dough cycle is nearly finished, put a cast iron skillet in the oven and turn it on 450 degrees. Once it’s heated, take skillet out of the oven and brush with oil.
3. When the dough cycle is finished, punch down the dough, place in skillet, flatten and stretch to the sides. Leave a raised lip.
Making the pizza:
1. Put the skillet with shaped dough in the oven for about 5 minutes. Take out to begin building your pizza.
2. Make your favorite white gravy recipe and spread over the crust for your “sauce.”
3. Add toppings of cooked sausage and/or bacon, and mozzarella cheese.
4. Cook for about 10 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
Can serve with scrambled eggs, potatoes and onions, or fruit salad. But it also does just fine on its own! Very filling.
Enjoy and happy Friday!